Saturday, May 23, 2015

BookCon Tips and Tricks Part 1

BookCon 2015 is only one week away! My body has been acting like a 5 year old anticipating Christmas! Lots of early wake ups and visions of pretty things (BOOKS). So since I can't sleep, I thought I'd share some of my experiences from BookCon last year, its first year in existence, and create a tip list.



  1. Plan, plan, plan! I found out about BookCon 2014 two months in advance. One of my favorite authors had tweeted about her appearance at BEA and BookCon and NYC is only a 1-hour bus, 4-hour train ride away. I was so very excited to attend a convention surrounded by people who love books. I'm even more excited for this year! So getting back to the tip... As soon as BookCon releases any information, make note of it. Some time in February they slowly started sharing which GUESTS and EXHIBITORS will attend.  Then in April they posted the PANEL schedule, quickly followed by the AUTOGRAPHING schedule. I may have also studied the floor plan of Javits like a playbook. Since I love to plan, I read anything by each guest as they were released to get a feel for who I want to see at BookCon. This also kept me busy while I anxiously waited for the schedule to be released. After that joyous moment (scheduling day), I used the My Show Planner application within the BookCon site to ⭐️ everything I was interested in. Of course it was four deep in every hour but there is so. much. to. see. and. do. I also like to write things down and highlight priorities and make lists until my little over-planner heart is content. Last year I had at least two events every hour and a couple times three. I knew that there were 3 authors I desperately wanted to be face-to-face with and I met them all! Maybe I was lucky, but I like to think all the planning made it happen.
  2. Wear comfortable shoes Last year I was at Javits for 10 hours (7-5). I chose to wear sneakers and though I was physically wrung out from all the excitement, my feet did not hate me. I saw 2 panels so the remaining 8 hours were spent on my feet waiting in line or walking the showfloor.
  3. Arrive early to everything. I missed Cary Elwes' panel for his book As You Wish by about 20 people. I lined up a half hour before the panel and the line was snaked all around. BookCon staff informed me that all panel lines would start no more than one hour prior. This year they have implemented wristbands for all events in the Special Events Hall. John Green's The Fault in Our Stars panel last year was a mob scene. So to avoid all that and keep us organized, they have a very specific procedure in place. Queue Hall (1C) will open at 8am this year to begin the lines for each SEH panel and one for the showfloor. Also good to know is that all panel rooms (except the SEH) will NOT be cleared. So if you would like to sit in a panel room for more than one event, go for it! You won't have to line up again and I may have used that to guarantee my seat in a VERY popular panel last year *cough*Dystopian*cough* The autographing events also seemed to line up an hour in advance. Sometimes the in-booth signing line will not start at the booth so make sure to check in with the booth attendants for the time and place that the autographing begins. Also, some in-booth events require tickets or book purchases. So while you're asking about the line, might as well get those details too. Some of the exhibitors have put information in the description of the autographing. The authors who are signing at tables will do so in Queue Hall. A LOT of these events require that you purchase a book on site at the Word Bookstore. It is located in Queue Hall near the autographing tables. So you'll need to buy a book but the purchase does NOT guarantee that you will get it signed. Line up early (I'm attempting one hour prior)!

That's it for Part 1! Please check by for my next installment of tips and tricks coming soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment