Sunday, May 24, 2015

BookCon Tips and Tricks Part 2

Welcome back! In my first BookCon post, I went over Planning, Wearing Comfy Shoes and Arriving Early. Today I'll tackle Backpack Essentials, The Buddy System and The BookCon App.



  1. Backpack Essentials I notoriously overpack so BookCon is a challenge for me. I like to be prepared for anything. Here are items that I found very useful last year: snacks & lunch (since the line at Javits is crazy long and the food expensive), a few books to be signed, sharpie, water bottle, mints (wouldn't want to scare off your favorite authors with bad breath!), camera, portable charger for your cell (if you are lucky enough to find an outlet at Javits, huzzah for you!), business cards (some raffles require them and it's fun to share your social media accounts with new friends), and your schedule (I put mine in a "customizable photo" travel mug so it's always in my hand). Optional back pack items: pen and notebook (I like to take notes during panels), deoderant, light sweater (I took one last year, but never used it), MeetUp badge (so the other App users can find you), Book plates (to have the author sign if you don't take their book with you), and a back up battery for your camera.
  2. Buddy System Last year I went to NYC alone. I was lucky enough to make a meet up plan with a couple friends for BookCon. The buddy system is wonderful! They can hold your spot in line when you are desperate for a potty break or need to unload your haul to the luggage you left at the coat check (nothing with wheels is allowed on the showfloor, but for $3 you can check a piece of luggage to comfortably bring back all your books and swag). Please remember to be polite and tell those who line up after you that you are holding a spot for someone.
  3. The BookCon App This app is active all year round! We chat about what we are reading and the book events that we are attending. It is a great community full of fabulous bookworms! The App also has the Exhibitor list, Panel schedule, Guest list, Autographing schedule, important links and Show Specials. While looking at the details of each event or person, you have the option to "Add to My Agenda" and they will be bookmarked for you. If you use the App on your cell, you have the option to "sync" with your cell calendar and it will fill in all the panels and autographing that you bookmarked (very handy for setting reminders so you get to your events on time!).
I hope that everyone has an awesome experience and keeps an open mind. Some times you have to go with the flow and move from your first priority to the second (or third). Next time I'll post all my pictures from BookCon 2014. Thanks for visiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment